Subject: Re: 25fps
From: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 23:53:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Marc...

> 	I am doing an animation for use in Europe.  I am saving
> D1 Pal images off to an Exabyte thru ASDG's Abekas driver
> software.
> 	My question is when you type in a value other than 30
> in the FPS window in the scene panel, what does it do?
> I rendered an anim and nothing seemed to change.  I then scaled
> the frames by .8334 to get the 30 fps to 25 fps.  This works,
> but still what does that FPS window do in the scene panel.

Umm, you have a pre-release verion, don't you?  (3.5 doesn't have an FPS
button).  You were correct in scaling your frames down to 25 FPS -- it'll
look a little fast on an NTSC machine, but fine on a european maching.  in
fact, if you have an AMiga and LW SA, you could switch it into PAL mode an
watch it play back at the right speed.  Ain't TV-compatible systems great? :)

I'm guessing that the 25 FPS setting will tell LW to render at 25 FPS -- I
mean, when you hit "render", it'll skip some frames so the animation will
be 25 FPS, or scale it as it renders.  Of course, this is only a guess. 
Bet JG would know. :)

> 	While I'm on the subject why is 30 the default for the
> FPS in the scene panel, and the default camera lens in the
> camera panel is a 35mm.  Ok no hate mail I know I can change
> the config file but what gives?

I've wondered that myself.  Best Guess:  For places like Ambling where
they shoot in film, but do final output to TV.  Kinda strange, though, or
at least kinda cryptic.

> 	Is there an Abekas driver for NT or the Alpha?

Sorry, I won't have an Alpha for a while...

> 	Should I use Field render in PAL mode to an Abekas (I
> know PAL does use fields)?

I believe so (educated guess).  As far as I know, it'll work fine, since
it has fields.

> 	Should I reverse fields in PAL mode?

No idea.  You'll have to look into if PAL draws Odd then Even, or Even
then Odd fields first.  Sorry...

> 	Should I stay or Should I go?

Noooooo!  Don't Gooooo!  AAARGH!!!!!! :)

Hope this helps a little...

-- Joe

--
Joe Angell <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]